Wednesday, April 01, 2009

today...

So, the majority of my coworkers are married or engaged, so they (mostly the guys) are routinely trying to fix me up (with their brothers, etc.) After I told them I wasn't about to date someone 30 or older, I was given this equation:

your age ÷ 2 + 7 = the age of someone you can date

So, I did the math:
22 ÷ 2 + 7 = 18
22 + 18 = 40

40.

At this point, I collapsed into horror-stricken, tears-streaming-down-my-face laughter that continued for a good 3-4 minutes. Just as I stopped, one of my supervisors came by and asked why I was crying. Which started the laughter/crying again. Needless to say, my coworkers got a big kick out of this.

They decided the equation only works for how much younger you can date, thus proving that I should date their 30-year-old friends/relatives.

(30 ÷ 2 + 7 = 22)

I happen to disagree.

6 comments:

D. Wo. said...

You've got the equation wrong. The end result isn't the difference in age; it is the age.

Your second equation is correct. The proper age range that you can date and still be generally societally acceptable would be 18-30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#The_.22half-your-age-plus-seven.22_rule

Stephanie said...

come on! dooo it!
(unless you're going to come down here and meet adrian!)

linda said...

this made me laugh. i don't really get the equation, though. i never claimed to be good at math.

Megan said...

i agree with d.wo. that is for the younger age. for older is subtract 7 then double. so 30 is the right upper age. but yeah, stay a little closer!

Molly said...

Hahaha. I was just thinking about 40 year-olds. Yuck. We wouldn't be friends....

Leslye Smith said...

as long as they're wearing cute sweaters...i am pro-old-man dating.

:)